Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Monday, October 31, 2005

From Darkness unto Light


A few bomb blasts. Many killed, many more injured. A regular phenomenon. The locations change. The results similar. What will this mindless mayhem ever achieve? Nothing. If fear for them is an achievement. They haven't even attained that. The markets are again crowded and festivity is in the air. Cautious, yes. Afraid, no!

The incidents will not make this Diwali dark. The grief over the loss of life shouldn't be shrouded in darkness; rather we should all light up a little more and show the forces of darkness that a thousand lamps can make the night - day.

I was planning a visit to Sarojini Nagar Market on Saturday afternoon, but the friend who was supposed to accompany me changed her plans. I was in a bookshop at Connaught Place when the bombs went off. I didn't realise anything. On my way home a friend called me and told me what had happened and then I noticed that the radio jockey was also announcing something similar. The first thing that came to my mind was - it could have been me. But it was dozens of others, innocents.

9 Comments:

Abaniko said...

Glad to know you're safe. Could it be providential? I hope that's gonna be the last bombing incident in your place. My thoughts are with the families of the innocent victims.

Admin said...

Thank god you are safe.
I have many cousins and friends in delhi. Thnks to god, none was hurt, at least the militants back home haven't come to bombing the innocents, or maybe they don't get access to RDX. WHo knows?

it will never end..

AquaM said...

It is a quirk of fate. The driver Samuel,who died in the Andhra Pradesh train tragedy, was actually helping out his friend David,who was on a holiday.It was not even Sam's shift. He just wanted to help his friend.

Yes, the killing is senseless. It's funny how life and death co-exist. Diwali and the bomb blasts.

Glad to know you are safe.

AqauM

sinusoidally said...

Came upon your blog...

It is a tragic overlap of such sadness with the festive season in Delhi.

saurav said...

Thank God u r safe... we r not in a position to enjoy Deepavali... the festive mood has been spoiled... take care

saurav said...

wish u a very very happy & prosperous diwali....have fun...take care..

Greta Björg said...

I´m sad for the loss of lives, but happy for you being safe.
Wish you happy festivities (I will be Googling "Deepavali" and "diwali")...take care.

dwaipayan said...

may be i'm selfish, but i thank ur friend who passively changed ur plans

Anonymous said...

Let there be light...