Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Blue Jeans in my Genes


Little did the young immigrant from Bavaria called Levi Strauss and a Nevada tailor named Jacob Davis realize while filing for their patent for 'Improvement in Fastening Pocket-Openings,' that it would evolve to be the greatest fashion ever. Generations to come will swear by their copper riveted 'waist overalls.'

Jeans especially the five-pocketed variety crafted from blue denim remains an all time favorite. The flexibility that a pair of blue jeans offers to me is unparalleled. Needing little or almost no care, wash - only when dirty enough (the enough part is also flexible), ironing - what's that? The holes and the tears only add to the look.

It forms a perfect combo with shirts, t-shirts, kurtas, undershirts and even bare topped. Shoes, sneakers, sandals all can be worn beneath. I can don them at home, at the office, in parties, in my bed and even took a bath wearing them many a times. Being an editorial guy I can casually walk into meetings in my tattered jeans.

No barrier of class, creed or sex exists. From Rs. 150 ($3.00) a pair to a few grands, the range is enormous. They're even worn beneath burqas.

The utilitarian value does not diminish even after a decade of wear and tear. A female friend revealed that cut into strips, they are also very good for waxing. I normally make doormats or dusters out of my old faithfuls, didn't ever think of giving the waxing thing a try.

7 Comments:

Abaniko said...

As long as the occasion does not require a sportswear or a formal attire, I wear a pair of jeans. I love "maong pants" (jeans in Filipino).

Soumya said...

jeans look best for bachelors ... after marriage i will have less of them ...

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't "They even worn beneath burqas" read as "they're even worn..."
sorry for pointing out the typo.

Soumyadip said...

Thanks anonymous for pointing out the error. It now stands corrected.

Soumyadip said...

Abaniko,

Another addition to my Filipino vocabulary.

Soumyadip said...

Soumya,

What's marriage got to do with jeans?

Does it have someting to do with the sudden increase in girth post marriage?

dwaipayan said...

hmmmm,lots of comments. anyway, i just love to be in my jeans.