Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Whacky Shift

Whacky ShiftWhy does it have to be this way, always? And illogically enough it works. Since last afternoon my keyboard was acting funny. The problem was with a combination of the Shift key (both right and left) and certain letters (I just happened to notice that they were all vowels). It just wouldn't work, and for capitalisation, I had to use the caps lock every time. And much later the idea of StickyKeys came (actually, when I was frustratingly pressing the Shift key multiple times).

To find a solution to my problem, I sought Google and read through pages and pages where people discussed their hardware and software problems. No answers anywhere. Thought of doing what the IT guys at office usually do, uninstall and then reinstall. Usually works. Then somewhere down a forum, someone fixed his problem by simply turning the keyboard upside down and giving it a few whacks. I did it and am typing this - AeIoU. Perfect.

By the way, the problem was also because of a few whacks, which I had liberally given the keyboard in the first place to dislodge all the snack that it had gorged over the months. The same principle worked with the little 14" B&W TV that I had in my room back home and also with the 'imported' Chinese music system, which played all from Dylan to Daler. Whack, whack and it's all right. Why did the grownups have unwavering faith in this principle when it came with dealing with the mischievous us?

4 Comments:

dwaipayan said...

I'm on no emails=no comments movement!!

San said...

and read through pages and pages where people discussed their hardware and software problems. No answers anywhere.

oh god Soumyadip, I should whack it around your head for having gone to all that trouble!

Soumyadip said...

Dwaipayan You are commenting.

San Please don't. It might again start acting crazy (I'm referring to the keyboard, not my head).

dwaipayan said...

yes...do u think only mamata banerjee can change her mind?? huh??