Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Munnabhai, MA (Double), LLB, MBA, Diploma in ...

I still recall the last paper of by university degree exam. I was elated. Not because my pre-results calculations had arrived at the conclusion that I'll manage to scrape through respectfully, but due to a sense of freedom. Freedom from the mandatory memorising. I liked to study but hated exams and still do. I believed that I have just sat through the last examination of my life and was basking in my newfound stress less existence.

How wrong I was. I finally found my freedom six semesters later (I quit one course halfway through). Now when many of my colleagues come to me asking for leaves - to appear for exams - I ask them, "Haven't you had enough?" Some of them are pursuing multiple courses simultaneously. Some through correspondence and others regular courses - where the institutes do not demand regular attendance.

What do they do with their degrees anyway? Helps in career enhancement, they say. Do they? Do degrees make a man? Whatever may be the answer, I'm not going to sit for another exam.

7 Comments:

Gypsy said...

hey, me too! but i still have to take a few more exams before i finish my PhD, i think i have paseed this mental age of attending classes and sitting for exams, i love working in the lab on my own though!!

Bionic 1 said...

Just checking to see if your ok.
I heard about the bombings.

#$@%&*$#@ TERRORISTS!

Soumyadip said...

I'm fine guys. But many others aren't.

Abaniko said...

some take up courses to divert their attention from the monotony of their jobs. many still go to school for career advancement, i suppose.

Rita said...

Agree with you. Yeah, yeah! I've had enoughhh *phew*!!

dwaipayan said...

i hate exams but have
to sit for loads

dwaipayan said...

browsing ur blog for something else..and stumbled upon this one..ha..this perfectly depicts my present status of mind. when i told mom today that i've cancelled GRe plans she said, but u can't be just an mc..at least do an mba. no way,not anymore..i cant stand any more years of studying(which is a torture)..would love to even give up this 1 yr.. but can't.