Cutting the Chai has moved to a new domain: cuttingthechai.com.
You can get in touch with Soumyadip at www.soumyadip.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Why Do Journos Blog?


The blogosphere is a strange place, infested with strange people following stranger occupations. The much maligned media-wallahs also fill in the ranks. But it seems they are only a few - the overpaid and underworked types who make a foray into the B-land. Or else there wouldn't be so much misinformation about blogging hanging around in the newsstands (the sound and motion variety don't seem to have the faintest idea). Hidden behind pseudonyms seemingly inspired from a kiddie PC game, some of them do what they wouldn't ever have in their straitjacketed publications.

Familiarity breeds contempt and within the relative anonymity of the blogosphere they let go of all the suppressed frustrations, anger and intellectual overflows. Stories that never went to print reincarnate as posts. They might have sold their souls, but a little bit of heart seems to have remained in the right place and it occasionally shows, in their posts.

But what I wonder is that why would a scribe already pestered with approaching deadlines and writer's blocks, put in some extra minutes (even hours) before a CRT/TFT screen in geeky cyberia? The time could be productively used for planning the next sting or downing some booze at the press club.

4 Comments:

Unknown said...

maybe the posts are for them - not really for us?

Abaniko said...

i'd be glad to know your answer to your question since you're a journalist yourself. whatever it is, i'm sure it's gonna be interesting.

Soumyadip said...

But a pseudo one, Abaniko. I do it because I'm a virtual nobody, I too am sometimes not aware of my existence. I want someone to hear (rather read) what I have to say. Being the youngest in the family I always had to do the listening. Later in life to girlfriends and bosses my point of view remained pointless. Therefore I blog. In the faintest of faint hopes that there might be someone in cyberia with a spare ear to lend.

dwaipayan said...

i'm not lending my ear to u.